Volume 12 - Number 1, Spring 2013

Paraclete: in Greek "one who comes alongside in order to help."




Back to the complete Spring Edition.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Soaring Like an Eagle: A Veteran’s Perspective on Paraclete by Leta Van Meter

Paraclete is an ideal fit for me! After 30 years with another (wonderful!) mission agency, Paraclete is a place and platform where my experience and gifting can be maximized for the sake of global missions. Coming along side is not new for me. This is who God created me to be and what He created me to do. As I minister with Paraclete, I feel like an eagle out of a cage; while there is definite accountability, there is also freedom to catch the thermals and soar. There is great freedom to follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit. There is great joy in being able to serve many different mission agencies globally. There is great privilege in coming alongside other Paraclete associates in their ministries. There is great encouragement in being able to call upon other Paraclete associates to come alongside me in ministries into which I am invited. There is great oneness as I am blessed and encouraged to participate in ministry with my beloved spouse of 44 years. I agree with the writer of Ecclesiastes (4:9), “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: if one falls down, his friend can help him up!”

With reoccurring predictability these days, I find myself saying things like, “Oh, this is what God created me for! All of my life and gifting came into play! Yes, I prepared for this ministry, but in reality God has been preparing me all of my life for this!” Paraclete is a place where this depth and breadth of meaningful ministry is possible. I am indeed grateful! After 11 years with Paraclete I can heartily say that it is a place where I not only survive, but truly thrive!

No comments: